Frank N. Magid Associates helps companies to develop, shape and strengthen their brands to create emotional connections with consumers and stakeholders. These connections are essential in building engagement that breaks through the clutter and resonates with consumers who are increasingly difficult to reach. Developing a brand strategy will enable clients to answer a number of questions, including:
- What are current consumer/stakeholder perceptions of the brand?
- How can the brand be best positioned for growth based on the unmet needs of the target market?
- What functional and emotional attributes does a brand currently "own" versus its competition?
- What permission does the brand have to venture into new content, functional or physical arenas?
- What is the most appropriate brand and positioning strategy?
- What messaging and positioning resonates with which consumer/stakeholder groups and what provides the greatest and most unique point of value?
- How does the company communicate and execute its brand with relentless consistency?
Implementing a Strategic Process to Align Products with Local Reader and Advertiser Needs to Create the Newspaper of the Future
Recognizing Frank N. Magid Associates’ strategic and operational local media expertise, a major US publisher engaged Magid to help reverse the fortunes of one of its local newspapers which was experiencing declining circulation and advertising revenues. Believing that local newspapers could grow by exploiting their unique selling propositions and aligning their products and services with local market needs, Magid developed a process to explore patterns of local media consumption, investigate potential new business models for both print and online, and evaluate opportunities to recapture important consumer and advertiser positions assumed by other media. Through a comprehensive process that included strategy sessions with key personnel and multiple phases of qualitative and quantitative research with consumers and advertisers, Magid developed new prototypes of the print newspaper and ad products. After testing these prototypes with the relevant markets, Magid partnered with the newspaper to develop a strategic roadmap including an operational approach and identification of profit mechanisms. As a result, the newspaper has experienced an increase in year-over-year ad sales, strong positive reader feedback, and internal recognition from its parent company. This engagement has also led to strategy engagements with other local newspapers of major US newspaper holding companies.